Wednesday, October 17, 2012

President Uchtdorf's Words.

Of Regrets and Resolutions (October 2012).

Key Doctrines and Principles:Replacing regrets with happiness
Spend more time with those you love
Live up to our potential
Let yourself be happier
Rely on the Savior's Atonement
Take action and resolve.
 

Favorite Quotes:
"The more we devote ourselves to the pursuit of holiness and happiness, the less likely we will be on a path to regrets."

"In our day it is easy to merely pretend to spend time with others. With the click of a mouse, we can “connect” with thousands of “friends” without ever having to face a single one of them. Technology can be a wonderful thing, and it is very useful when we cannot be near our loved ones. My wife and I live far away from precious family members; we know how that is. However, I believe that we are not headed in the right direction, individually and as a society, when we connect with family or friends mostly by reposting humorous pictures, forwarding trivial things, or linking our loved ones to sites on the Internet. I suppose there is a place for this kind of activity, but how much time are we willing to spend on it? If we fail to give our best personal self and undivided time to those who are truly important to us, one day we will regret it."

"Our Heavenly Father sees our real potential. He knows things about us that we do not know ourselves. He prompts us during our lifetime to fulfill the measure of our creation, to live a good life, and to return to His presence."

"When it comes to living the gospel, we should not be like the boy who dipped his toe in the water and then claimed he went swimming. As sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father, we are capable of so much more. For that, good intentions are not enough. We must do. Even more important, we must become what Heavenly Father wants us to be."

"Sometimes in life we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey. I don’t go cycling with my wife because I’m excited about finishing. I go because the experience of being with her is sweet and enjoyable."

What it Means:
This talk has been incredibly powerful to me because today's trend is less personal communication and more negative complaints. It's such a blessing to know that we can change at any time and become closer to the Savior. I am more inspired to communicate more with others physically, not just online. I am motivated to take action and resolve the problems in my life and find joy. By focusing from a perspective of optimism, life is lead by faith and I can look to my Savior for help... We need to make the most of our lives now and not think we will have more time later.

No comments:

Post a Comment